View Single Post
Old 2007-04-20, 23:27   Link #10
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

So I've been working on my karaoke to the OP. Which as a non-native speaker of Japanese is... interesting. In order to learn to speak all the words properly I hadta transcribe the lyrics. I mostly used AFK's translation, with some alterations from other sites as well as some googling. This is the current results:
Spoiler for for keepinz ur page shorter:

There are a few places where I disagree with AFK's translation. The "catch and release" phrase is actually missing a syllable, the word tokkya blends into "catch" so that it's tokkyatch. Near the end of the first section it makes more sense for the word to be "ase!" (sweat) rather than "I say!", given the suggestive nature of the first stanza. Finally there's the big beast, the first line of the last stanza. I don't hear a fu or a ku in that line, it's just two syllables. seihin means products or goods (stuff), sanpi literally means a request for approval or rejection, but I think is simultaneously short for san pi-su, or three piece. So the item description and the question are inherent in the same words... nice trick that.

Seems like the whole first stanza is a jab at the industrywide practice of having romantic OPs to shows where it's really inappropriate, as well as mockingly throwing up some fanservice before getting to the parts of the song that actually tell us something about the characters. KyoAni is basically saying "We know we'll get the attention of all you otaku out there by putting pics of lolis in short skirts in front of you along with lyrics talking about sex, so here's some over the top naughtiness. Now let's move on to something that the show is actually about." The "catch and release" line, as someone noted before, is just way overboard. Heh.

Two RFI's here. First, can anyone who's read the manga identify the policewoman onscreen at the "cherry pie" line? She reminds me of Konata, both the mouth and the eyes. Secondly, I'd reeeeally like the original words for the bridge section, where only their legs are visible. In particular, Miyuki's lines about looking for her glasses. Romanization pleez, I can't read Japanese.