View Single Post
Old 2008-05-19, 01:49   Link #254
osmium
of high density

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
You know, I could bring in the whole 'in a real military, when you trash a plane - whether it's pilot error or equipment failure, they hold a court martial' line... but since this is anime, I won't.

Even if there's a government footing a bill, always losing your plane usually means losing your piloting job.
Just making a comment in line with the general concept as put forth above.

They are testing the VF-25 in combat conditions. Knowing how well it handles damage, and how far it can go and still be functional would be a part of that. How detrimental it is to the outfit is the greater concern. The people with the money making these things and asking SMS to test them are probably ecstatic over Alto and all the awesome data his personal black box comes back with (as test fighters I assume there are a number of redundant black box systems each holding the data of that flight). Now SMS might be angry if they're down a plane and the makers aren't supplying new ones in time... However I think the situation is probably more that the manufacturer has more planes on hand than they have pilots good enough and trustworthy enough to fly them.

Also seeing how they put them back together after sustaining damage is an important consideration, so I'm sure they've got cameras and personnel in on the repair process to access how the vf-25 goes back together.

-O