View Single Post
Old 2013-07-09, 17:36   Link #824
whsie

At a certain point, a lot of mangas, novels, and movies all feel repetitive. There are unique works, but those are a hit or miss. The misses miss hard and the hits are the rare masterpieces. On the other hand, while the typical work will probably remind in some way shape or form of another work, it's the "safer" route. If the producer or writer busts, their resume won't take as big as a slam.

This is why when I see a similar work, I don't really see if they're cliched or repetitive because they will be. Rather, I see how the author writes and whether it's an enjoyable read. In other words, if the execution is good, I'm willing to give it the thumbs up.

And btw, this doesn't apply to just entertainment mediums, it also applies to businesses. You can have a great and unique idea, but if it busts, all the responsibility will clearly be on you. If it succeeds, you will horde all the glory and be hailed as a genius or an innovator. If you take the safer route (i.e. the protocol or norm), you can fail and get another chance since you followed the rules.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote