View Single Post
Old 2009-10-13, 19:40   Link #778
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Anyone has read the review of TT DVD on ANN? It doesn't seem fair at all to me. I understand that some people could be not happy about hiromi ending, but be honest a bit.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/revi...-anime-legends
Well, it pretty much has all the smatterings of "I've been forced to review a genre I rather detest". If you take away the symbolism and metaphors (which are the essential basis of the plot), and remove the leads and the weighty atmosphere, what's left? Well, apparently Noe and Nobuse, the two characters he did like and could relate to. So it was sort of a foregone conclusion ("the only parts I liked were only subplots").

But then again, I fundamentally disagree with the premise that one should be able to take any which anime, watch it, and expect to be entertained just by virtue of the fact that other anime have entertained you before (any more than watching any random movie, or reading and random book, or playing any random game). But this is what these people have to do to justify their paycheque -- they get paid to watch everything so that other people don't have to, and just don't blame them if they don't like most of what they're forced to watch. This is why knowing the reviewer's tastes and biases (and where you stand in relation) is almost more important than whatever they have to say.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote