View Single Post
Old 2009-12-28, 06:38   Link #332
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
What do you base this on? Just because the some of the Otaku are the loudest and most condemning of this plotline it certainly doesn't mean that they speak for the majority. What gives them the right to decide what is acceptable or not for the rest of us? Cause they cry and whine the loudest? We'll have to see how the manga does on sale when it comes out to have at least some idea on how well or badly it is received. If there as much differ viewpoints as we see on this board then I'd say it's not as badly off as you would try to make it out as.
Thats because I don't hear much of support for the manga. Here on these forums (in western) there is but on eastern it seems like there is much more unaccepting the recent development.

I find my statement has more ground that the one that says it has the support from the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
Controversy can be detrimental or extremely benefical. It depends on how it pans out which it has yet to. Those who might have no considered reading this might actually be now attracted to it since this controversy. It can possibly pull in a better female reader base (which shounen has a decent female base already) as well as pulling in Seinen fans(teenagers or older fans) while can easily off set any loss of readership from those Otaku and those who just didn't like this twist.

I don't know where you get she weak because she closed her blog. It was prudent to shut it down if it is becoming a problem with Otaku spamming it. Blog are not in anyway required and in fact I don't understand there purpose anyway other than to inspire more stalkers and put mundane and useless crap out about yourself. If she changes her story to appease these guys then I'd agree with you on her being weak.
Doesn't she herself said she was 'heartfallen' as on stating the reason to close the site? It was not because of the flood made it hard to handle the blog but more because of emotional effect it had.

Controversy is not a bad thing per se (see Evangelion), but when it starts messing with authors live it is - Kannagi author was sick, but interesting enough the sickness hit her the most when she was put under the stress due to recent development. As you know our psychological state effects our physical one. If it makes such stress over you - then its not a good thing.

And besides how would you determine if the changes GE would make are effected by the readers or not? She can't really undo the part the story that was presented... and you can always argue that the future story progression was planned rather than effected by the reactions of the readers.

Like Ichigo for example? A lot of people say it was planned but the mangaka herself stated that she had no direction at all (in the 4th omake I think) and it seems like she was influenced by the popularity polls...

Quote:
I honestly find Shoujo extremely more sexist than Shounen in many different ways but thats besides the point. Shoujo often focus on first love and that why the majority of them are virgins but that's doesn't mean that everyone of them is. Check out Nana for a clear example of when pretty none of the girls are virgins at the beginning. Often times in Shounen the virginity issue is left up in the air and in fact often completely ignored. Do we think the 100+ years Rukia(bleach) is a virgin? Well we'll probably never really know as that's really irrelevant point in the manga. Some take for granted that the heroine is a virgin but rarely is it completely stated either way.
Thats because it is not a romance, so no one really stress over it because it has little importance. On the other hand show that Rukia is not a virgin and I am sure you will get a sudden increase in your correspondence, the majority of which won't be very pleasant to read. I am pretty sure of it, though you of course can disagree.

Quote:
I don't know how you've already figured this is unsuccessful already. I apparently don't have the crystal ball that you do but I think I'll go with my gut here and wait a bit more to see how this plays out. I honestly don't really see how this would work in a seinen manga anyway. While Seinen generally has more sex and violence the message here is clearly geared to a younger and more inexperienced reader. This is his first relationship and like most first relationships it can be very bumpy and not all his idolized fantasies about the girls might turn out to be true. Most older readers have quite learned this already so it would probably not make as much of a impact in that demographic.
The discussion about success is always shooting in the dark because the manga is still not ended but I am saying what I am seeing so far - evangelion caused controversy but the negative feedback was outmatched by the positive feedback, while in GE case we get much more negative feedback than the positive one, so I am shooting it towards unsuccessful so far. It does not mean the judgment cannot change with the end, I just find it is more possible to guess to that direction for now. You could say that one should not do guessing at all, but again I do because I want to do so, it is your freedom to agree or disagree, but it would not change my stance towards the matter regardless of what you think.

As for this all issue...

There is even a popular saying which probably explains the shounen and shoujo direction 'Every man wants to be the woman's first, while every woman want to be the man's last."

And it does not come from manga. Manga just more crystallizes on this "woman's first" and "man's last", but this urge is not from the otaku at all (I remember this saying since it was used in one of Adair books that I recently read, but its used in lot of literature so I cannot say who was the first to say it). This desire seem to be much older, the problem is that manga and the otakus seem to be so focused on this that every diverge from it is taken with a lot of criticism.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote