View Single Post
Old 2012-02-09, 21:45   Link #69
DesuX2

Good point, I don't know how to speak Japanese so my assumptions are based on the little kanji I can read and phrases I heard from other anime. Perhaps it's true then that Misaki is male.

Spoiler for Weird thoughts:

I fear that everyone has read too much into the "mystery" side of things, and left out all the little clues that the anime scatters in everyday events. I think that the key to solving the central mystery of the "curse" lies in the main theme. So I went back to analyze every philosophical tidbit the anime offered and looked closely at Mei and Kouichi's conversations again.

The key is this:

Misaki Mei is a weird girl who likes to speak in metaphors.

So my updated theory after such a long post is this:

Spoiler for Updated Theory on Crack and Love (WITHOUT LOVE IT CANNOT BE SEEN! KIHIHIHIHIHIHI):

Main Theme: Social Isolation as a metaphor for death

I only realized this when watching Episode 5. In Episode 5, the homeroom teacher is giving a lesson on "Figures of Speech, Simile, Metaphor, Personification". So I thought: What if death itself was a metaphor for social isolation?
Spoiler for Main Theme: Social Isolation as a metaphor for death:

I did an episode by episode analysis of Kouichi and Mei's conversation lines with each other. Because I forgot where I put my headphones, I actually viewed them without any sound. Then I realized that if you put eroge game music instead of scary music in their dialog they look like scenes out of a romance novel.

Epi 1

Spoiler for Boiler Room Scene:

Spoiler for Rooftop Scene:

Episode 2

Spoiler for What was Mei looking at from the roof?:

Quote:
"not the lemon, but the world that is screaming"
Spoiler for ORLY:

Quote:
"You don't dislike..."
Spoiler for Where have I heard that...:

Quote:
"I wasn't hiding because I wanted to surprise you, you just happened to come while I was here."
Spoiler for phrase again...:

Quote:
"Do you want me to show you what's under this eyepatch?"
Spoiler for Dum dee dum da:

Flirting aside, I think that this conversation is key to solving the mystery:

Quote:

"only half... maybe less than that."

"It's strange that they can look so peaceful, even though they are attached (in reference to two female dolls joined at the shoulder)"

"Impossible, it would make more sense to be calm if they were separated."
Spoiler for Spoiler for Central Mystery:

Episode 3

"It can see things that remain unseen, so I keep it covered."
Spoiler for Seriously:

Quote:
"This might not be a good place for you, since you are not used to it. The dolls... dolls are hollow you see. Completely hollow in body and soul. That void connects them with death. But hollow things seek to fill their emptiness."
Spoiler for Human Misaki Mei Translator:

Very, very very flirtatious.

Quote:
"I know things about you that even you don't know. That's how we're stuck with each other."
Spoiler for Hmmmm:

Possibility of serial killer

Spoiler for Mysterious Culprit X may or may not exist:

AND YES I NOW KNOW HOW TWIN RED TAILS WILL DIE. It's hinted in the OP. I look forward to seeing that mean bullying psycho getting whacked off.

Spoiler for Possible Foreshadowing:

Questions:

HOW did Misaki die 26 years ago?
What happened 15 years ago when Kouichi's aunt was at the school?
What is Mei and Kouichi's true connection to the incident 26 years ago?
What is the use of the "doll" motif in the show?
Who is the creepy custodian of the auxiliary library and what is his connection to the incident 26 years ago?
Is Twin Tail the most gigantic biatch or what?
Who are Kirika and Fujiwara Misaki?