View Single Post
Old 2010-02-20, 16:07   Link #33
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I like the way you've phrased this with the "as much as any anime studio around". Over the past few years I've grown weary of people singling out and celebrating Kyoani for things that are just as much to the credit of other studios and their own particular works that get no credit since it's either expected (it seems Kyoani is often celebrated highly when they hit their par expectations with fans which to me seems unnecessary and excessive) or people just plain don't celebrate them for it. It's been as if to say that the other studios don't give any effort in their adaptations and/or their methods are inferior or not worthy of attention and/or they have no clue about the difference between a light novel vs. an anime when it's simply not true and cheapens the work of the rest of the industry. You have a good eye for finding my little pet peeves and helping to set the record straighter so thank you.
I agree to some degree with this, that Kyoani tends to get too much praise. I'll even go as far to say that all their shows except for Lucky Star, K-on, and Munto (what?-- it's a movie/ova right?) are overrated. That doesn't necessarily mean any of them are bad, it's just that there is definitely some kind of "Kyoani exceptionalism" going on which has rather waned over the last year, mind you, as there has been significant disagreement over questionable decisions in all their 2009 shows. However, I really can't say people don't give credit to other studios. Certainly, everyone goes crazy over their favorite shows, and really isn't anything peculiar.

Quote:
I think a lot of what needs to happen is for people that start with Kyoani shows and moe shows etc. to try and branch out and see what the rest of the industry is coming out with and gain if not an interest, at least an appreciation and awareness for it. It'd certainly help people to see why when everybody is raving about a particular "achievement" by Kyoani I often (upon hearing the news) come in and basically say "yes, but in the grand scheme of things this really isn't that overwhelmingly impressive" and in my fouler moods tend to mock the celebration of it.
Ok, now that's kinda silly here; what you are suggesting (broadening your horizons) is valid, but what you are assuming isn't. Why are you assuming these people have a limited scope of anime and they haven't watched anything else? Until they start openly bashing other anime with ignorant opinions, I can't really see the relevance. And even if they had a limited scope, they've inevitably seen many other forms of media to establish a valid opinion about stuff. I don't know, perhaps you are overrating your own perspective about anime.

Anyhow, I think you make many great points; but I feel your points are diluted by these two things:

1.) You keep insisting on bring up "hype" and what a certain segment of extremist Haruhi/kyoani fans think. That's nice and all, but often times it gets brought up more than the actual quality of the movie. Yes, there's nothing to talk about yet, but if you get swayed too much by stuff like this, how could you form a strong opinion? And you certainly won't be able to enjoy it. If that's your way, then so be it.

2.) This especially pertains to the second paragraph I quoted, but stop referring to the extremist Kyoani fans so much. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but hardly in this thread. How can you judge anything by the fringes? Basically, you spend too much time ranting about a vaguely defined group of people. Even a valid point loses its effectiveness when used too much. What is the relevance of it anyways? Some people lack objectivity, fine. So?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews