Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-19, 01:30   Link #23776
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
It's an interesting find, but couldn't it simply be that the "wife" Jesus was referring to here was the church? It is referred to as his bride or wife in other NT books after all.

Regardless, it's not like the possibility of there being an early Christian tradition where Jesus having a relationship with Mary hasn't already been raised by the gospels of Philip, Mary, etc, right? Even if it is a stretch in those cases. Well it wouldn't surprise me if there were such early traditions. Considering how many diverse sects Second Temple Judaism saw, why wouldn't it be the case that there were numerous groups of early Christians with wildly different schools of thought on different matters?
Dunno, I'd have to know 4th Century Coptic to be able to converse intelligently. For example, does that kind of metaphor even make sense for the word used in that language?

The only point I'm making is that people who think the KJV or even the results of the Council of Nicea (much less the Imperial Roman Church or the thousands of offshoots) might be better served with a better understanding of the roots of what they're labeling themselves as, rather than clinging to a soundbite of a misquote of a political agenda of another soundbite from several translations of third hand oral stories.