View Single Post
Old 2007-12-10, 11:16   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Classifying "Visual Novels"

(I moved this conversation to its own thread. It was originally part of the "What Ero-games are your favorites at the moment?" thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Eh, I don't want to be technical here... but at least try to differentiate between Visual Novels (VN) and Adventure Games (ADV).
You're actually one of the first people I've seen in the English community try to differentiate things in this way. In English fandom, most people tend to consider "Visual Novels" the big container, and "Adventure Games" a subgenre of it, because a Western-style adventure game is not even remotely similar (you'd only confuse people). Again, whether technically accurate or not, I consider this to be more useful for conversation purposes, as the difference between the two is more about implementation than about anything else. The heart of the game -- the novel-like story content -- is the same. Otherwise, you'd need another even bigger container to put both in. Do you have such a label to propose?

I guess the issue is that the gameplay style is so big/popular in Japan that it spawned distinct subgenres (ero/consumer, NVL/ADV, etc.). But for the rest of the world, it's so obscure that it's much more useful to have a global label so we can differentiate "Japanese story games" from everything else out there. In the context of the usual English fandom, p997tt's post (where he mixes everything together under the "Visual Novel" banner) makes perfect sense.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote