Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-05-03, 05:03   Link #7027
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If the Cold War can come to an end, why not a silly mindless conflict like this?

The older generation of dogs who bathed in pork lard are dying and most are already dead : the younger generation should be more open minded to the concepts of peace in religion rather than religious rights of domination.
I think that the operative word in your statement is "should." It should be that way with younger generations, but that's idealism in the face of the human condition.

I saw a documentary once on PBS, a long time ago, I forget the name, but it was rather ambitious. The producers of the show got a group of young Palestinian kids and a group of young Israeli kids together, all about grade school age. they sent these kids to a spend a few months together, for the summer. They had a blast, and became great friends. They knew they were supposed to not like each other, but they didn't know why. So they got along great over the summer. When it was time to part, the kids cried and said that they would be friends forever, and that they could never hate each other. It was really sad to see them say goodbye.

Then, the show met up with the kids several years later separately, when they were teenagers, to follow up. The Israeli kids hated the Palestinian kids and vice versa. They had in a one word, become indoctrinated. They talked about killing each other, and about how unjust it was that their enemies have their land, etc.

It was heartbreaking to see the change, and the venom that spewed from the mouths of these teens. They were so convicted in their beliefs because they believed what they had been taught from all the adults in their lives, not to mention the media in their respective countries. It's propaganda like no other. And when you think about it, people are very much the product in which they are raised.

Though I think your analogy has the right idea in terms of the Cold War, I do not think that it is an apt comparison. The Cold War didn't involve religion. When you throw in religion, the feeling of entitlement of the holy land, the suppression both groups feel and have felt throughout history, all on top of a strip of land with so much crude oil, it's a completely different ballgame.

More than anything, religion just drives people nuts.

Quote:
The simplest solution is still a second Holocaust : kill everyone in Israel and Palestine. Otherwise it would be an extremely difficult solution of negotiation after negotiation.
@__@

Last edited by MikaMiaka; 2010-05-03 at 05:15.