View Single Post
Old 2012-06-28, 12:03   Link #3244
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
(Truthfully, I do not understand how anyone really thought Shepard would win. The Races have only been preparing for a large war for 5 or so years, and considering that they only came together within the last few months of that preparation, it was very unfeasible for them to have actually been able to launch an offensive or defensive that would have destroyed all (or at least most) of the Reapers (I could expect them to save a few systems, but not the galaxy). They simply didn't have the technology or the man power to defeat the Reapers.)
See, having "impossible odds" is actually par for the course in games like these. I am not sure it is a big deal that it seems impossible for Shepard to win; the same could be said of any other number of macho Sci-Fi heroes out to save the galaxy.

So I guess my point is that what isn't unusual is the bad odds; what is unusual is that this is a rare time when the chance of victory is literally zero.
Quote:
Now that is the real dilemma. Bioware has, essentially, created a game that you cannot win. Frankly, I do not know why they went out of there way to create such a game. While it is nice to have an interesting story, it would have also been nice to have created a believable 'positive' conclusion to the story....
One effect of this inevitable failure, is one has to question the point of all the gameplay decisions one makes up to now. That one has to wonder if the universe would be better off if Shepard died on Eden Prime.

The only consolation is the rejection ending. That by refusing to comply, Shepard played the part instead as another link in the chain to Reaper's ultimate defeat by a successor civilisation. (And no, Destroy ending is not a "good" ending. It is only "good" if you think like a Reaper.)