View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 13:37   Link #154
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
But, you know, he should have been able to anticipate that Asuna would at least attempt to find the right combination and put her hours of boring captivity to use. He was arrogant and lax, leaving her with keypad access and no monitoring, no matter how small he thought the odds of her getting the combination were.
Well, that combination would be pretty darn hard to guess, and it's probable that failed attempts might set an alarm. Plus it was also setup such that she could not read the keypad by looking at it. So it *sounds* like a pretty smart torture device -- the keypad is right there, she knows it's the way out, and can see him typing it in, but can't read it. It's pretty cruel, actually. But the programmers never thought about the "mirror exploit". She couldn't look at the keypad and see it, but she could look through a mirror and see the reflection of the code entered. It's a bug, and actually a pretty reasonable one as far as these things go.

This is like how people tried the 5-person flight train thing and nearly got up to the top, and then they put the wall. Programmers don't always think of the crazy things people will try to break the limits they think are in place. So I can't really blame him for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
That's what bugs me, I've seen a lot of people dismiss it as " oh more blatant siscon otaku pandering / oh look another member of Kirito's harem." When it's been obvious from the start the whole narrative point of her arc was tragic Dramatic Irony.

Of course it's handled with all the subtlety of a speeding cement truck, so I can understand why it might not appeal to someone.
I agree with you; there is a lot more to Suguha than "pandering", and her role is critical to this arc, not least of which because it helps emphasize Kazuto's feelings for Asuna. She serves as the bridge between the real world and the online world, and helps emphasize the things that have changed in him in the time since he was gone. It helps us to see Kirito from another perspective than his own (and other than Asuna's, whose we generally already saw). It's also valuable in that sense that she's someone who knew him both before and after, and whose love (and her very participation in ALO) may have been precipitated by his absence. Everything is very closely connected.

I too can understand why some might not like it, but I really strongly disagree with the suggestion that it's "tacked on and doesn't really serve any purpose". Couldn't be further from the truth, in my view.