View Single Post
Old 2009-09-07, 12:37   Link #622
tilley

The symbolism of light and dark in Code Geass

I would like to make a thread for this topic-

I think a really interesting aspect of the symbolism of code geass is how light and dark color schemes are used. Traditionally dark colors would be used to signify the 'bad' side while white/ light colors would be used for the 'good' side--for example with what they wear, the place they live, etc. But in Code Geass such things seem to switch around, the same way that the characters themselves seem to 'switch' in that neither side is fully good/ evil, or opposite color schemes seem to be delegated than would be expected.

For example Lelouch, though he is the protagonist and 'hero' of the story, seems to choose darker colors for everything-his Zero outfit, the uniforms of his followers (significantly named the 'black knights'), even when playing chess he always chooses black. I think that all of this is supposed to be a way to show both how he sees himself and how he wants to be seen by others--for example, the playing up of his 'dark side' (a side which he seems very much aware of, beginning with his internal monologue at the end of episode 1) can be a useful way to intimidate his enemies.

On the other hand the Britannian side seems to be portrayed in light colors, especially Suzaku and the Lancelot. This makes sense in a way considering how Suzaku believes himself to be fighting on the side of justice, against the 'terrorists'. What I think is most interesting is that by the end of the series, Lelouch is the one in lighter colors and Suzaku in dark colors. This makes more sense on Suzaku's side because by that point he doesn't seem to have a very high opinion of his own role in 'justice' anymore, but Lelouch is more confusing- after all by that point I doubt he sees himself as 'good', if he ever did. But I'll leave other people to decide on that one.

Thoughts?
tilley is offline   Reply With Quote