View Single Post
Old 2011-06-20, 14:25   Link #41
Irisiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Wondering if yaoi fangirl having the same mindset
I've actually run across that a lot, mainly because female characters are so often side-lined and put out of mind as far as the plot is concerned, only to appear in the eleventh hour and marry the hero, making the readers/watchers go WTF?!

Take Harry Potter, for example. Many weren't pleased with Harry/Ginny because of the above, and many wondered which girl would be the best for Harry.

Then the question was flipped: Which character would Harry be the best boyfriend for?

People tried to twist in Ginny, Luna and Hermione, but many eventually settled on Ron, and on the Foe Yay side there was Draco. Mainly because Harry couldn't be bothered to comfort his two girlfriends after they cried when their loved ones had died, instead fleeing to Hermione and Ron, but he clearly dislikes when Hermione criticizes his most stupid ideas so he likes Ron a lot more.

In anime, it's often casts with many male characters, with a few female characters who don't do a lot, that gets this (Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Naruto, Bleach, Saint Seiya et cetera) in the fandom.

This is especially true when one takes into consideration that women (on average) judge women harsher than they do men, in the same way that men judge men harsher than they do women, so for the average Yaoi fangirl, a female character must prove themselves a lot before she considers the character worthy of one of her liked characters.

On the flip-side, bad writing seems to divide all shipping fronts.

With Nanoha, I think the near non-existence of Yuuno during the latter series had something to do with things. Which is a pity because he is a good character all the times that he shows up, in my opinion.
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote