View Single Post
Old 2012-09-11, 19:43   Link #495
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Regarding that "punch scene"... I know some people don't like that trope (and whether the actual punch was needed or not notwithstanding), but I actually kind of think it served an important purpose in breaking the tension and showing that they were still being "themselves" after the trauma you described. If they just go straight from near-death to dinner and... after-dinner activities... it really is like they were just scared on some level. But this manages to break the ice, and make them approach it from a fresh perspective. They're in this not just because they're afraid of dying, but because they love each other, so that's important.

So yeah, this is sort of a tangential point, I guess, but oft-hated trope notwithstanding, I think even that was an important part of the flow of events.
I see the intent of this scene as well, but I am guessing people didn't buy the tension breaking since they expected the serious tone to carry throughout the end. Of course yvmv, and in at least my perspective I thought it accomplished what you said.

No matter how serious the times are people will still laugh and smile. They'll enjoy meals together. That's just how human beings are, we adapt. I would think the way Sword Art Online has been portrayed so far, that despite the grim setup has actively portrayed a sort of normal life for these people in the game as they adjusted to the world completely would have sufficed to drive home this idea.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote