View Single Post
Old 2009-07-31, 11:43   Link #193
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Um... it was a bet as I recall. He said he'd convert if he won a battle. One of those historical die rolls. The Roman leadership was pretty pragmatic and cynical about religion.

Also, I'm a bit confused here.... Horo is supposedly about 700+ years old. We really don't have a handle on the time period for this series --- the technology, architecture, and economic structures seem to indicate roughly the period when the Medici were in their early ascent (1300-1500?). However, the position of the Church and its scope in the outlying regions seem to indicate and earlier time frame (1100-1300?). That means the Horo was born at the earliest... just after the Roman Empire fell and the roots of the Arthurian legends were beginning to flower. This seems to make the most sense - as well as to assume the author is mixing centuries a little bit. He is, after all, simply writing a good yarn of a tale.
They were all pretty religious - just a different religion.

He did say he would convert, but the idea that he said he would convert to Xtnity comes from later texts written by Xtn scholars. The contemporary texts of his time was more ambiguous.

Constantine after his conversion was still a Pagan-Christian mishmash.

But anywho I don't think we can compare real life time periods with S&W time periods...the development of their society might have been severely impeded.
(ie. technologies or inventions from Islamic or Sinitic civilizations that helped Europe progress in real life)