View Single Post
Old 2017-01-20, 20:50   Link #83
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
This Manga/Anime is made to titillate don't let the oppressive and "serious" tone fool you. Don't think this is something deep like Aku no Hana.
Forgive me for doing this but ... after some more thought, I've decided to say here that Kuzu no Honkai, offers me a decent point of reference for issues which I might argue are dealt with in a different way in
Spoiler:

Can these series not be said to complement each other, in some respects?
Showing sex is obviously not the only way to tackle the topic of sexuality.

Are you saying people should not watch Kuzu no Honkai at all or are you providing a public service announcement by letting prospective viewers know they should watch this series but only with certain expectations?

Who decides what is designed to titillate?
What if a series titilates inadvertently? Does it become shallower because of that unintended audience reaction?
Who decides what constitutes being fooled? By tone and oppressive atmosphere...

Perhaps Kuzu no Honkai is not as deep as Aku no Hana but does that mean it is "shallow", full stop? Do you imply that a titillating title is by its very nature shallow or only shallower, in comparison to other, deeper, series? Series which can be said to never really show teenage sex at all, showing not so much as a kiss between lovers, but are nevertheless held up as some unassailable standard for their portrayals of teenagers and adolescence.
Or appear to be.
Maybe I misunderstood.

Does Aku no Hana titillate you, Deadite?

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-02-03 at 11:50. Reason: Very late edit ... to apply spoiler tags once more and more broadly
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote