View Single Post
Old 2017-12-22, 04:30   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Backers just received the OVA tonight and I watched it. It was cute! (Subtitle timing on the Steam video player seems to be messed up which is annoying, though, but the subtitles themselves were fine.)

The OVA is basically the outline of the first game (all-ages version, of course) and it hits almost all the same story beats. There's just over 50 minutes of animation, plus OP and ED credits (so around 58 minutes in all). It's not the most-detailed animation by any means, but it's pretty serviceable given the length and the fact it was largely crowd-funded. They really focused on the looks and mannerisms of the characters, which makes a lot of sense for this franchise.

If this had been a TV anime, it feels like they might have stretched the contents over 3 episodes, but it didn't feel too rushed as-is. They also preserved a lot of the gags and in-jokes from the game (including some of the "ecchi" jokes), and the cuts to SD also were similar to the game. It was also to neat to see the brief cameos of the original characters funded by the top backers; even though it was clearly a marketing ploy for the campaign, it also gave a bit of a sense that the world was more "inhabited" with other catgirls/owners (beyond the story-essential cast).

All in all, if you like the game series, it's fun to see it animated. I'm happy I helped crowd-fund it. But it's not going to give you something wholly different than the game (though that was never the point). I'm curious if it's going to be released on other avenues than Steam at some point. (Ironically, the price of the OVA is higher than the price of the game its based on right now -- which is probably mostly as a early-reward to backers.)

Anyway, above all, it was cute, so mission accomplished.