View Single Post
Old 2013-10-25, 00:25   Link #13483
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus753 View Post
I was angry because it really felt like the story was building to the complete opposite, only to not do so, Nisio basically saying, "Sorry about that, but this guy will always be a loser". Sure, it's unexpected, and maybe you could call it a deconstruction of something (though, I think this manga could never decide whether it wanted to deconstruct something or play it agonizingly straight), but that makes it no less frustrating. Just because something's brilliant doesn't mean it's not a terrible idea.
About this: it's obvious that this manga was very confused, and Nisio didn't seem to really take it seriously. I never felt the seriousness of a grand piece of work like Kizumonogatari in Medaka Box.

In the end, the manga just wasn't really good, because it kinda had a pretty terrible progression and plot. It had mostly good characters -- some glaring exceptions here and there -- but it was definitely lacking in structure, gradation and cohesion.

And I think that is reflective of Nisio's lack of seriousness. He was just playing around. I think his rather poor conclusion to Kumagawa's character arc in the graduation can attest to that, not to mention the rushed ending.

So yeah, I agree that it's frustrating, but for different reasons.