View Single Post
Old 2010-06-11, 12:02   Link #25341
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
It's something I'm debating at this point. It's not like the NSIS specifically needs clearance to use the information, and Chrono has enough power to do it on his own without having to all out tell Yuuno what it's for; but at the same time it feels weird because if he definitely knows, then that means that more people were lying to Nanoha about it than just Chrono and Lutecia (and possibly Lindy and Amy, but eh). And since I'm thinking of using this one-shot as a means to show how another person knows, I'm kind of wary of having too many people know because then it becomes a question of how Nanoha never found out in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Well, it's about position and relation. Yuuno knows by position, Fate by relation, Hayate by position. Nanoha eventually by relation (x2). She's not really in a position to know, and isn't close enough to Chrono to find out in a direct relation way.

If that makes sense.
And more to the point...Nanoha already knows about the NSIS. It's in "Caught Within Shadows"--Fate told her about Chrono being head of the agency back when Chrono was appointed (it's when they're discussing classified info, and Nanoha points out that Fate shouldn't even have told her about it and Fate gets all "You come first" about their marriage). What Nanoha didn't know until chapter 1 of "Sunrise" was that Lutecia was an agent with the NSIS--that's something that Chrono and Hayate (and maybe Verossa) of the canon cast were the only ones who knew.

Note that I'd strongly be against Yuuno knowing that Lutecia was an NSIS agent, because then you would have the lying-to-Nanoha issue. Telling Nanoha or not telling Nanoha that there's a secret agency in the TSAB is one thing; holding back the information that Vivio is dating a covert-ops agent and assassin is a very different matter. But there's no reason for Yuuno to know that; his dealings wouldn't necessarily be with field ops but with research and administration staff seeking data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
In false light, Yuuno is in on the secret, but not officially, and actually works with EAID (the information/hacking/computer-nerd section of NSIS), but it's all cloak-and-dagger stuff; EAID analysts hide behind various covers when requesting information from the Library. He doesn't actually know Celica, though--at least, not what she looks like (which is why she was able to go to the Library under a phony alias and research the Precursor Artifact), though they have corresponded through the Midchildan equivalent of e-mail, with Celica behind various aliases.

*snip*

This is how I've been working it, honestly. NSIS gets what they need from the Library the same way Celica did in Chapter 2--they lie like hell, use phony identities and forge Bureau-approved authorizations. As you said, Chrono's got enough power to give any of his technical agents or analysts enough authorizations and credentials to get pretty much anything they want out of the Library, without having to officially tell Yuuno anything.
This is definitely something I agree with--whether Yuuno does or does not know of the NSIS, and whether that knowledge is "You are the Head Librarian of the Infinity Library and you are Entitled to Know" or just something he picked up along the way, either way the NSIS would definitely use unofficial channels to access information, because they wouldn't want to leave any kind of data log of activities.

One thing to note--now that, post-"Sunrise," Vivio is in on the secret, she could actually be one of those unofficial channels.

Quote:
The man is very trustworthy and does have access to more sensitive and dangerous information than any one person in the entire Bureau system (with the exception of Celica, perhaps), but if he knew for sure, then that would pose an issue re: Nanoha.
Again, remember that Nanoha does officially know...although there's nothing that says Yuuno knows that she knows, especially if his own knowledge is purely deduction. (Actually, Nanoha not being an idiot herself, she probably cornered Chrono and asked him point-blank who she could talk to about this and who she couldn't, and after substantial grumbling about blabbermouth sisters they'd get down to brass tacks.)
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote