View Single Post
Old 2011-02-25, 05:12   Link #233
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Funny you brought up Greek Tragedy, because to some extent the show did very much remind me of a classic Greek Tragedy of nigh hopelessness. Sayaka for me would be like... say... Cassandra. Both were promised gifts which became cursed due to their own actions, watched everything they love collapse before them, and now left as mere broken shells of their former selves. At least Cassandra found salvation in death (sort of), but can we say that Sayaka will be that lucky?

I think the question for Sayaka now would be if she could even be redeemed at this point. Homura tried and failed, and we don't know of Madoka can do it. The idealist in me would say that she can, that this is her power, and breaking the cycle entails saving witches from their corruption. That is of course assuming we get such a story.

I'm trying to actually think of a Tragic Greek hero/ine who would fit Madoka nicely to some extent, but I haven't seriously read Greek mythology in 5 years.
I thought instinctively of Odysseus for some odd reason. She might have no parallel then again, because Madoka is Ume-sensei's protagonist. As for redemption of Sayaka, it rests on Madoka and whether if light is what's needed to combat darkness. I actually am highly sympathetic to Mentar, when he mentioned about Gen able to come to a sweeter leaning bittersweet end instead of a Pyrrhic end, but it is difficult for me personally to say which way things will fall at all.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote