View Single Post
Old 2008-07-04, 21:23   Link #404
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
If the Armored VF-25 = plain vanilla VF-25 for maneuverability despite the extra mass, then there's no need to eject the armor... since when he does that, he'll STILL have the same maneuverability (it's not like he's hiding a Super pack under that Armored loadout), but with less armor and several fewer weapons. About the only packs we HAVE seen ejected were the Super packs, when they had to enter a small hole in a ship and the pilots weren't apparently certain they could fit the packs AND the VF-25 through; see Episode 1 and Episode 7, although with the latter it appears Alto used it as chaff to shrug off some Vajra missiles which were homing on him.
I was referring to the older Armored Packs for the VF-0, VF-1 and VF-11, Haess. But if Ozma dumped his Armored Pack, he would get some better combat endurance, since those bigass thrusters must suck up reaction mass like no tomorrow to make his Armored move the way it does.

As for the Super Packs, we also see them ejected in Episode 12; in 1 Guilaime ejected his pack, and when we see Michel in Episode 2 he's also sniping without a pack, which means that there are probably drag issues when using super packs in atmosphere. In Episode 12, Alto and Michel jettisoned their packs before entering Gallia IV's atmosphere, probably because super packs aren't rated for atmospheric reentry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I thought it was how the added mass would be a problem inside the atmosphere/gravity? You don't see Ozma flying around with the armor pack do you?
Actually Ozma was using the Armored Pack when he deployed in the city. He probably decided that he needed to be able to get that massive missile salvo into the Vajra red, which is why he used it. In his case he went for firepower, fully aware of the firepower/armor/manuverability tradeoffs between jettisoning and not jettisoning.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote