View Single Post
Old 2012-06-22, 12:19   Link #6306
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
I'm still scratching my head as of what the designers of that thin were thinking back at Caledfwlch Techniques xDU I really doubt Signum asked for such a design xDU
First and foremost, I want it to be noted you asked for this. *deep breath*

I still haven't gotten a good look at the design yet. The perspective keeps skewing obervations like length and thickness, making things hard to determine sure-fire. Do we have a NEXT design on this thing yet?

Handguards in swords are an often neglected, but critical advantage of a sword's design. Deflected blows have a high chance of hitting the hand, which, being that this is a sharp piece of metal we're talking, means there is a high chance of injuring the very hand that's holding the sword, resulting in a disarming strike at best, or a useless hand at worst. Either way, the fight at this stage will be an almost guaranteed loss.

The curved hilt is not all that unusual. In the east, many sword designs have curved hilts. Arabian and Turkish designs are the most well-known among them. They offer better maneuverability of the blade, allowing for sharper twists with less effort. Position-wise on this particular sword, there seems to be enough space for a second hand (chapter 24, page 18).

The buckler is small. But then, buckler's are small (as small as 15 centimer). They were designed as pure sword-defense in support of a one-handed fighting style, after all, and were small as to not interfere with it. The stake weaponry does not seem to get in the way, and so is a nice addition to allow more offensive support of the second hand.

So the only real downside I can find? It's broadness. It's a very broad sword. But even that is reminiscent of existing swords: Scimitars. A sword which coincidentally also tends to have curved blades I might add. With a large amount of weight in the front of a blade, the curved hilt compliments the sword nicely.

Bottomline? Regardless of it's size and actual weight, all evidence of the sword's design point to a blade that thrives on agility and quick, fluid motions.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote