View Single Post
Old 2012-09-25, 09:16   Link #2483
willx
Nyaaan~~

Business Attire in Japan?

So, while I was getting dressed this morning, I suddenly became curious about this topic. Although I've traveled to Japan somewhat recently for leisure, I have never been there for business. If anyone that works there or has been there for business for an extended period of time could satisfy my curiosity -- I would be very grateful! My only real encounters with Japanese businessmen are:

1) Watching an avalanche/wall of them on the march at Shinagawa station on a Monday morning while I was wearing yoga wear and half asleep trying to get to a Tsukuji fish market
2) A brief business meeting 3-4 years ago with two older gentlemen representing Itochu, but I was more junior then and sat quite a ways away and didn't really speak to them

So my questions are:
1) How much do good quality suits cost? Good quality wool? Made-to-measure? Bespoke?
2) Do people wear french cuffs? Cufflinks? I don't recall seeing any.
3) How much do cheap suits cost? I notice everyone wears suits there, many of them looked ill-fitted and couldn't have cost that much? The cheapest polyester suits here cost ~US$80-100?
4) I heard there was a push (post-earthquake/tsunami) to have people not wear ties to reduce air conditioning costs? True?
5) Conservative business environments here are almost solely the domain of white/blue shirts, sometimes with stripes .. I don pink on Fridays(!) because of Pink Shirt Fridays(tm) -- what's the practice there?
willx is offline   Reply With Quote