View Single Post
Old 2013-03-23, 08:11   Link #23
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
The humans got off way too easy. Yeah I realize a lot of them died and a lot of loved ones were lost. But they are still at the top and (with the exception of Saki and Satoru) they seemed to learn absolutely nothing.
Well, you have to take the time frame into consideration. The "trial" happened very close after the war - it's no surprise people weren't exactly in navel-gazing mode. But the point of the 10 year timeskip is, I think, to show that Saki, as the head of the new generation of leaders, is trying to change things. Of course a fast and profound change would be more satisfying for pure storytellng purposes, but given the world and the circumstances, a slow, hard, perhaps even painful change is more realistic.

Quote:
Everyone here knows I was pretty anti-Squealer (well not as a character but as human...) but I was so angry when they laughed at him. And I didn't think he deserved that horrible fate (I was glad that Saki ended it).
I think that was kind of the point. I mean, Squealer was built up as this horrible bastard throughout the story, and this part is where he gains real complexity. I do think he's a bastard, but as a character he's intriguing, and I'm glad his story developed and ended the way it did.

Quote:
On another note fansubs state the fiend was a girl. I know this was the opposite of the book but did the fansubs get it wrong or did the anime just change the gender?
They changed his gender. -_-