View Single Post
Old 2012-10-27, 07:03   Link #84
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasque View Post
I didn't like how they did the first battle. I was expecting for Masato to actually fight using the cat...

I know you can skip the battles in vn, but it was the first scene. If they had made it more interesting, non-vn readers would be more excited about the anime, like "That was fun, I wanna know what this show is about".

If they had accomplished it by the start, it would be a win-win, even wasting some more minutes.

But I liked Anego's battle, it was fun watching Masato fighting with an useless weapon.
I never stated they should skip battles altogether. I stated they should animate them correctly in order to have a good grasp of everything.
The major setback by animating the battles is the "meaning" of them in a anime format, which should have been cleared by the ranking system. If they were to animate just a few battles correctly, along with ranking (and for some reasons, they only put 3 titles so far, and 2 of them are not battle related), that could have been better on the long run.

And the problem is that the anime fails extremely hard to have a swift and explosive aspect of the battle at all: they make characters attacking aimlessly (Kengo with his shinai and Yuiko with Murasama) to make the battle longers, which isn't really a good idea, when you have "filler" like stock images all the time.
Heck, due to how dragged the battles are, I'm not surprised that some people are getting bored by these: Yuiko's took like 4-6 min by herself, which takes too much for her own intro episode. Hell, because of that, you couldn't have Kudo and Mio intro in the same ep, and if they wanted to be really "yuiko centred" only, they should have at least make the whole first baseball practice with her in its entirety to drive the point with her and the girls, instead of having her showing up due to cute girls, for the fanservice. I think they made a very basic mistake by skipping/postponing Yuiko's "Yui-chan" scene.

The fights are used to either have a short good laugh and/or have major quirks of the characters being introduced. So if they made Yuiko go "cold murder" mode and trash Masato within 30 seconds like in the VN, that would have been enough.
Likewise, if they want to make a fight to introduce Haruka, Kudo and Mio, they should make it quick: Haruka winning by making her opponent falling due to marbles/fireworks, Kudo insta-KO her opponent with Strelka and Belka, Mio doing nothing at first, then either clumsy do something or insta-ko with a science weapon.

Really, you don't need dragged badly animated scenes for these, it is just making the intro battles a bore, and even lower the possible length of the baseball practice.