View Single Post
Old 2012-11-15, 15:04   Link #1568
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by WONDERMIKE View Post
The whole Hikifune story is a bit odd when it comes to powerlevels, because.. just how strong is a single member of the royal guard really? Do they have to be on the Captain Commander's level to get the promotion or "just" above average? Would Kyouraku fit the requirements for promotion then?

I guess I have problems with the idea of a Captain being on Yamamoto's level while serving under him. It's a bit hard to imagine.

Back then when we first heard of Hikifune's promotion my first feeling was: that's just a made up story to cover that she was put to jail in the maggot's nest or something.
This is just a guesstimate, but it could possibly be explained if Captain-level shinigami have power limits placed on them when they are within the realm of SS. I believe it was mentioned during the first SS arc that it's against the rules for Captain-class shinigami to release their bankai in SS unless it is to protect against a direct threat. It wouldn't be such a giant leap in logic then to imagine that once a shinigami is promoted to Squad 0 and brought to the king's court, that limit on their power is removed, hence explaining their ability to have huge power levels while having still served at one time under Yamamoto.