Thread: Avatar
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-01, 00:12   Link #124
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
American? That is just one of dozens (plus) countries/nationalities that have committed such atrocities in the history of mankind (the US isn't even the most recent). If any "shame" is supposed to be had, it is not for a specific nationality, but rather for all mankind...
Aye.. you could just as easily map the Roman Empire expansion over the Kelt and Germanic tribes of Northern Europe... or the British romps into the Asian/Indian regions. Or Conquistadors in the early Americas... (or the Aztecs versus their surrounding lesser nations).

Elements of mankind seems infected with this "rape, pillage, extract" disease that ruin a good day for the other 80% of the population (whether they're minions for these psychopaths or the ones in the way).

I enjoyed the film quite a lot... but that's recognizing the basic "Fern Gully Dances with Wolves" underpinning. I've meet real Quattrich types and real "corporate bozo" types so even those characters aren't so "over-the-top" as some might think. All the character development, however, did suffer from the "no time, too much to see" problem so they're left somewhat sketchy.

The Dr. Grace subplot and getting her wish wasn't that cheesy... though it did telegraph Jake's end solution so thoroughly a doorstop would get it... so it goes.

I liked the little chopper pilot -- reminded me of a KC-135 pilot and a search&rescue Blackhawk H-60 pilot I worked with.... they both looked quite cute in their flightsuits and were gumchewing smartasses

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-01-01 at 00:23.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote