View Single Post
Old 2012-05-28, 10:27   Link #117
crayven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Aquarion EVOL is great entertainment if you don't take shipping preferences and/or thematic preferences too seriously. Otherwise, it can be very disappointing.

Now, that's not to excuse everything, of course. Those two famous Zessica/Amata moments (the confession and the kiss) really look like highly questionable decisions to me now. To an extent, the producers/writers are practically asking for Zessica fans to get enraged, as those fans have been comprehensively trolled. Perhaps her character will escape Mykage's hold and manage to earn herself a good (or at least bittersweet) end, but even then, she will have to cope with Amata not reciprocating her love. And yes, this is in spite of how she has pursued that love a lot more straightforwardly than Mikono has. But... that's just the way it is.
I tend to cheer for the underdog in any anime with romance so I'm prepared to be disappointed most of the time. Ami in Toradora, Sana (the tsundere girl) in Masiphony, Ayase in Ore no Imouto, Noe in True Tears, Akazawa in Another.. the list goes on. One of the few times where the girl I cheer for ends up (sort of) with the MC was the princess in Katanagatari. So yeah, I'm used to disappointment. Still, the way Zessica is tormented every week saddens me more than usual. I have no idea what they are planning to do with her seriously.

I think the writers know exactly what they are doing when they include those two scenes. They know that those romantic moments Zessica has with Amata (even if onesided) and her character would make her more popular than Mikono. Which makes it even weirder that they don't make Amata repond just a bit positively to Zessica's advances, that way we might have a good triangle like in True Tears. Now we have two twisted triangles with obvious outcomes which is disappointing.

The only thing that can remotely improve Zessica's chance is her background story which hasn't been revealed yet. I suspect it's somehow related to her fear of ghosts/darkness and the promise with Mykage. I remember Shouma's secret was also revealed quite late in Mawaru Penguindrum and it let me down. Well, now I just hope that whatever her background story is I'm not too disappointed by it. No sad childhood please I"m tired of that already.

Last edited by crayven; 2012-05-28 at 10:38.