View Single Post
Old 2007-01-27, 22:02   Link #305
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
You know, Skane discussed this various times before giving her a chance. I'm just a tad bit harder on that aspect

Plus, I'm one who anticipates things rather than wait for them to happen and them pick up the pieces

And I DID say that it's LOOKING that it'll follow the same route and my whole previous post was a speculation comparing Toei's and KyoAni's versions and predicting the ending based on stuff so far. What was wrong about that? Or should I have kept my opinion on Toei's ending for myself? I believe it was well known before my last post My main point wasn't "I won't like it", it was "the way things are, I assume I won't like it". So yeah, of course a miracle can happen and I'll like it, but my speculation suggests otherwise and I voiced that. What's so wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with it. It just makes you look like a bloodthirsty psychopath out for the blood of uguu~, that's all. No biggie. J/K

You're just freaking me out, that's about as bad as it gets. Again, no biggie. J/K

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Yeah, the doctor can predict, but doctors usually want to be safe, so I expect Shiori to NOT die on her birthday (some even live for months after the speculated deadline). However, there are rare cases when doctors err the other way and something happens and the condition gets terminal BEFORE what the doctor initially gives as deadline. Although if a doctor says "maximum of 2 years", you should note the possibility that it could happen earlier. The family doesn't need to ever concern themselves with that anyway, just to make the patient as happy as possible until the situation becomes critical. And Kaori fails in that aspect, but that's not the point right now

Well, a magic setting must draw the line somewhere, and I think I've said that on various threads. If writers justify everything with miracles, it'll get lame eventually, and many magic shows are plagued with magic being used everywhere to get the writers out of a difficult situation to think of something more plausible. In this case, KyoAni can still pull miracles and save people, but saving Shiori, Akiko AND Ayu is 3 more people saved by means of a miracle... I do think it's too high a count if you also add Mai. Makoto seems the only one to have just her original miracle happen and nothing more and so has Mai more or less. Ayu though is already getting a miracle of projecting herself, add her wishes to that, she's getting an insane amount of miracles. Then she uses her last one for Akiko, yet comes back again? As I look at it, one of those two has to be deprived of a miracle. Either Ayu uses her wish for Akiko or herself. Having both live is too much, even for a magic setting. At least, that's what I thought when I watched Toei's version.
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking why you hated Toei's Kanon that much was because Toei screwed Ayu's arc so badly in the first place. Thus, giving Ayu-haters the impression that taiyaki-fangirl gets more than her fair share of miracles, when in fact that may not necessarily be the case.

Think about it. In Toei, Ayu's revival took all of one episode, and it was the last one, at that. Even I have to admit, that looks real cheap; Yuuichi tells her to wake up, and she does? Even so, for those baying for her blood, here's an observation I've made so far based on what limited knowledge of the Kanon-verse I have;

It's been stated repeatedly that Ayu has been in a coma for seven years. However, as far as I remember, there was never once a case where it's been stated that Ayu spent those seven years in critical condition.

Get the drift? She may never have woken up in seven years, but nowhere does it say she was in any real danger of expiring, either. So she takes a knock to the head and loses more blood than if someone popped her cherry. Sure, she definitively would be in critical condition after that.....but how long can your live be in serious danger after an accident? It may be a long time, but seven years certainly is stretching it a little, don't you think?

More likely, at least to my hypothesis, is that Ayu's physical condition stabilizes after some time, a while after Yuuichi skips town and doesn't come back, not until seven years later. But even so, she doesn't wake up because she's lost hope in life.....and it takes the trigger of Yuuichi returning by her side to wake her. Therefore, it's not really a miracle; it's just that the trigger for her accepting herself and her own grief has come back to her, thus the happy ending.

In fact, if it turns out in KyoAni's adaptation that Yuuichi has to spend days by the comatose Ayu's side, as opposed to in Toei when she literally wakes up the second he tells her to, wouldn't you concede that my hypothesis makes even more sense then? Because I have a feeling this is the path KyoAni would take with the Ayu arc.