View Single Post
Old 2008-11-09, 18:37   Link #178
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
A lot of people have had the idea of a merperson joining the crew in the past. I guess it's an interesting idea, but I dunno.... I'd think I would kinda prefer the last crewmember to be.... y'know, a human. Frankly, I can't help but think that any other non-human crewmates would just end up being another "mascot", like Chopper.....
Well the differnce is that many talked about a merperson, but not so much a fishperson... essentially making Sanji's dreams come true by having a mermaid be part of the crew... however design wise, a merperson is not much different from a human design except for the tail; and if they are at the age where the tail splits we wouldn't even see much of the tail... a Fishperson on the other hand shares traits of a fish and therefore by default is open to more interesting design choices (though Oda grabs a very wide range out of humans anyway)

and i don't see why you would think they would end up being a mascot... i mean a mascot character is almost defined by being not only abnormal, but being small, adorable and have decent comic relief value... none of which the theoretical fishperson would need to have. Now if the fishperson was a child, THEN we might see a potential mascot... but that does not need to be the case