View Single Post
Old 2009-05-19, 07:27   Link #49
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Incoming harshness...

Seriously, I'm known for very brutal honesty, and if I offend anyone, well, I warned you...

Keep in mind I have not finished my studies in Psychology and've barely begun. BUT I've been counseling people for over a decade w/o a license (shhh!! LOL), and'm a parent myself.

Here is what I would suggest:
1: Sit your parents down and have a serious discussion on your concerns. Let them know you fear for his ability to become a productive member of society due to this behaviour. If they shrug it off or say you're overreacting, go to #2.
2: Look through http://www.olganon.org/ and contact someone on there. It's a valuable resource, and may give you a clue as to what/why/how this is happening.
3: Look through the laws for your state/county. Depending on those, and your brother's age (which I may have missed, sorry), ignoring this addiction could be viewed as a form of neglect, and you may be able to contact CPS (Child Protection Services) for your area and have THEM intervene.
4: I advise you, #3 will NOT make you popular with the family. But it comes down to: Do you want to continue to allow this behaviour, knowing the damage it can cause (and I am sorry, there are *WAY* too many wastes of flesh out there who contribute nothing to society, and your brother sounds like he's well on his way to that. Brutal, but true.), or do you want to try to keep the peace in your household, knowing your parents do not wish to help your brother succeed in life.

As an example, I have a biweekly tabletop RPG session with friends, held at my womb donor's other spawn (yes, technically my sister but she's such a waste of flesh, along w/ my womb donor, I disowned them long ago and legally changed my name lol)'s apartment. She has a 6 year old son, and for the 4-5 hours we are there (starting at 7pm), he is on the computer playing WoW. No supervision, no nothing. This last game, he came out around 9:30pm and said he wanted dinner, so my ever vigilant sister set him up with a bowl of cereal and 2 oreo cookies, and afterwards he went back to killing brain cells. The time before that, it was past midnight, and he was still up. I finally put my foot down and said she either puts him to bed, or I am not playing anymore. It makes me very unpopular, but someone has to speak up for the poor kid, when his parental unit(s) ignore what's right, in lieu of what's convenient for them.

I do not know your parents, and while I attempt to not make assumptions, perhaps letting your brother vegetate on the game is their way of having private time; if he's busy on there, they don't have to deal with him. But I can assure you, they are not doing him any favours.

And I commend you for wanting to help your brother, even if it makes you persona non grata.

If you want to talk further (bearing in mind I am not yet licensed, but working towards my Phd in Psychology, focusing in young adults onup), please feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote