Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-22, 01:58   Link #20
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

The conversion is about 120 yen to 1 dollar.

Dont worry about looking like an idoit, you're a dam tourist, you're suppose to look out of place.

You can either change your money here in america, or at the airport. If you go to a bank in japan, I think i had to show them some ID, and it took them like 10-20 mins just for them to make sure everything was in order and give me my yen back.

There was a money changing machine at the malls, dont know if it was at every mall, but it gave a lower rate like 115 or 118 yen to the dollar. But it just a diffrence in pennies and you don have to go to the bank and possibly pay a fee. And dont change your money at the airport either, cuz i think they charge a rather large fee.

And make sure you got like 50-80 bucks worth of yen for each person in your group, cuz when you leave japan, the airport charges your a fee for useing thier airport hub on your way out of the country (you dont have to pay a fee when you get off the plane into japan). I remember that we had too pay like a 15% exchange fee just too change our dollars into yen, so we could leave the dam airport. Ah, i forgot which hub this was, i think it was osaka.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote