View Single Post
Old 2008-01-10, 08:34   Link #5291
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
USB500's earlier fics were getting some comments, so that aside ...
Yes, there also might be works that get ignored. So what of it ? I will sound harsh here, but: am i supposed to care about it ? I am not here to ensure some sort of equality in what people want to read and comment upon, such a thought is simply ridiculous. This is the fanfiction thread where people can post their works. Whether those get commented upon is not my problem, nor is it Satashi's, nor is it anyone's else, nor is it my or anyone's place to go around poking people "in the right direction". What is it you want to achieve by this rant ? Acknowledgment of the fact some fics might get ignored? Ok, i acknowledge that. And now what ? Is there actually a point to this, or is this some jealousy inspired rant ? I am not about to change the thread title (which was the offered solution to a "problem" i don't acknowledge as anything meaningful, and i don't want to stress how inappropriate such an action would be) because someone felt like whining that his fics didn't get the attention they are supposedly entitled to.
First off, I admit that my first post, some 26-odd hours ago, could have been done better. I was aiming to shock the Fanfic thread awake, to raise this issue. It was a tongue-in-cheek post.

As Keroko has said, I could have done that a lot better.

As for jealousy, no, I'm not jealous. I'm perfectly happy in the OC Thread, and have no desire, nor do I see any reason, to compete with Satashi: hell, we don't even write the same stuff! (Satashi writes yuri and fluff, I lean towards military thriller writing, with some comedy.) But the point that myself, Kagerou and Keroko are trying to make is that Satashi is such a presence here that other fanfics tend to be ignored in favor of Satashi.

My intentions are simply this: trying to make Fanfic Thread more inviting for new authors. Without new blood, the Thread stagnates. Take Darkscribes. I By and by, their Evangelion fanfiction activity was reliant on Random1377. When Random finally moved on from Eva, they collapsed as an Eva community. I don't want to see that happening here.

I could be wrong on my assessment of DS's fall, but I did observe and follow them from 2001 to 2007 and was a forumite there up to December 2007. Though it could also be argued that their fall was a hostility to new people and new, untested authors seeking to become better - something that ties in to the current situation. While the Fanfic thread is not overtly hostile to new authors, neither is it particularly welcoming with how the focus seems to be on Satashi. A newcomer to the OC thread will be welcomed, encouraged to produce, recieve haxbusting (and crack busting - yes, there are those of us who try to reduce the crack...and those of us who just laugh at it) and then, as Kagerou and Keroko said, will enter the big community. In short, a newcomer to the OC thread will feel more welcomed, and will stay and contribute.

I'm not ranting (well, I'm hoping this doesn't come across as a rant). My objective has been accomplished: all my intentions were to draw attention to this issue, for people to realise that there is more to fanfiction that Satashi. My suggestion to rename the thread was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, intending to shake up the Fanfic Thread.

I was not whining that my fics did not get any attention. I have no complaints on the attention my fics have received. I post them in OC and get responses, and I attempt to do the same for other authors in the OC thread. We try to critique and improve each others works. I don't need recognition, I have that already (at last count, I had 3 articles that were published in the local newspapers, with another 6 in various school yearbooks over a period from 1998 to 2005, plus a college paper, a legal opinion written in 2005 for a law firm I interned in, and several summarised articles done for a political think tank where I interned in 2007). I've gotten paid for my work.

The fanfic thread doesn't have the OC Thread's system of response in place. All it has is just what appears to be a strong focus on Satashi. This would appear in violation of the spirit of what Xris posted in the first post of this thread, which I read to understand that this is a place for discussion of fanfiction et al, not just Satashi's fanfiction.

A last final thought: I don't expect Skyfall to tell Fanfic thread denizens what to do. Nor do I expect any sort of equality. The whole aim of my posts, aimed at the Fanfiction Thread in general (where I was attempting to adress this issue rationally) was to raise the awareness of the fact that there are other writers out there, other fanfics that are not Satashi, and that other fanfics share the same intrisic worth and deserved to be looked at. Hopefully, this purpose has been achieved.

As I have said all that I wish to say, I agree to let the matter rest.

I believe in miracles.