View Single Post
Old 2010-04-17, 19:14   Link #55
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Quote:
I’m a big fan of Me & the Devil Blues as well and when I tried to think of something similar, I found myself wracking my brains to no avail. With its dense and layered art style, it reminds me of American graphic novels more than Japanese manga. I hope he continues it eventually …
Good point. Japanese comics, regardless of the setting and nationality (like that Kuroshit-something), always have the tendency to include Japanese mannerisms to their characters. Me and the Devil Blues' dialogue and body language for one are far from it, and completely natural. I would say the same for Kaori Mori too.

Still, I'm dying for a continuation of the latter!

I'm following Durarara too although I don't like it as much as I liked Baccano (which I recommend if you haven't watched that already); I can only take so much narrations in one season. And I find the Shinra/Celty relationship (it looks like it's about to be reciprocated, but I could be wrong. I hope) completely unhealthy and totally belittles Celty's feelings of the importance of her identity on her own terms.

Also currently watching Hakuoki Shinsegumi (not sure if you'd like it, and while I wouldn't really consider it all that good to begin with, I'm hoping the writers would be able to portray and develop the reverse harem characters beyond their archetypes). Arakawa Under the Bridge is quite good to pass one's time with if you can take the director's brand of style (which I can only honestly take in small, very small, dosage; he has a habit of sledge hammering symbolisms repeatedly and obnoxiously, but other people seem to like him, so...), it's not laugh-out-loud funny but it is self-aware.

I'm much more looking forward to Saraiya Goyou (because I'm a big fan of the director) and Yojou-han Shinwa Taikei (because it's got fucking Yuasa! How awesome is that?). That's it.

Is Krazy Kat available on the market? Because it looks pretty sweet and I doubt it's available in more illegal means.

I've been telling myself to read Soil for the past oh-I-don't-know 2 years (the art looks really interesting), I really need to get into that. I'll offer my opinion once I do so.

As for manga, I'm currently reading Dance, Subaru, and while I'm not really sure I should be recommending this (even I'm not certain whether this is good or not), it's really angsty but I like how it's started out like a typical shounen sports manga (except with a girl as the lead) yet has developed into something more cynical (the genius lead for one is obstinate to a fault that other characters have repeatedly pointed out that she's going to end up all alone in the end) and harrowing instead of the typical shounen message of friendship making the world a better place. Translation is not very consistent though, and once again, I reiterate, it can get overly dramatic.