View Single Post
Old 2008-08-01, 17:49   Link #5
wontaek

5cm/s theme song: Good use of male vocal. Good song, but we have lot of this. While the quality of the song is probably upper A level, its historical value is limited. Historically, may be C level. This is definitely a case where I have to assign a low level to otherwise a very good song, for it wasn't ground breaking as far as I know it.

Clannad's Opening : C+ level. Good song. Nothing really new there.

Clannad Ending: Dango Daikazoku: A- level. Very simple song with child-like drawing that endeared itself to millions of people. This song is a proof you don't need anything fancy to capture people's attention if you do things right.

Rozen Maiden songs : D- to B- depending on the songs or the music. Some were good. Some were rather shocking in a way. Many felt the song just didn't fit the overall mood of the whole anime series. Its main source of attraction might be this discord as well as jarring visuals. I do remember some good pieces, and do notice people remembering them, thus I would said up to B- level. Hard to go up any higher than that for historical value. Some of them are rather difficult to perform, so I do commend the execution of the music, taken by itself.

Kanon Opening : It has its moments. This is the first Key music. Still, when I heard the full version, it lacked the development I later heard in AIR. Good use of piano, but that isn't that new. Final verdict is B+

Kanon Closing : This really is more mature piece of music as the development in full version was smooth and natural, leading up to the Rap section. The trouble is people doesn't remember this as much as the opening. So while my analysis says this is a better written and organized music, I can't give higher rating than the opening. Still better than expected B rating.

True Tears Opening : I really wish I can give high grades for this as this is a very well written song, one of few songs that goes through key changes that makes sense, classically speaking. It also had nice dance scene for the visual. Sadly, there are other good songs out there and the number of viewers of this series were not as numerous compared to many other series that aired around the same time. This is an A level song in terms of quality, but historical impact was more of B level at best.

True Tears Closing : C- level historically, although it warrants better grade if we talk about quality of the song. I have heard better songs and seen better visual in Urusei Yatsura, which this ending clearly mimics.

Urusei Yatsura: There were many songs, ranging all the way from C- to A+ level historically. Urusei Yatsura was the front runner for so many things, it need separate thread to discuss them.

Last edited by wontaek; 2008-08-02 at 06:32.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote