View Single Post
Old 2011-08-09, 13:30   Link #882
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Even though I agree the Quarians' decisions were amazingly poor and led to an almost complete annihilation of said race, hating them for this is like hating humanity itself. I don't believe we'd act any different in that kind of situation. Those that would warn us of the consequences in the long run would be marked as paranoid and corporations would lead us along the same path Quarians walked in ME. Even the human-centric Cerberus installed an AI on the second Normandy AFTER the whole Geth "incident". Countermeasures or not, the further development of this tech couldn't be predicted in any way, especially not when we're talking about Cerberus and their work ethics.

Food for thought from the other side of the issue - While the tech was illegal, EDI helped Shepard and his crew enough to be considered a valuable member of the team (even saving Shep from the collector vessel, whose second death would mean the end of all races (not going to consider him dying in ME2 and being replaced by another Shepard in ME3 as canon)). What does that make of the whole AI legal/illegal issue in the ME universe and what kind of shadow does it cast on Quarians for creating the Geth then?

But hey, let's find out ourselves, AI development is starting to bloom, give it a few generations and see how we behave.
I don't buy the "humanity would do the same" logic. Yes, there would be rampant discrimination. Murder, even. But there would also be plenty of support for the Geth to be treated as sentient beings. There certainly wouldn't be a global decision to commit genocide.

Diversity is one of humanity's defining qualities. The best and worst can be found among us quite easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
EDIT 2: I just had a bizarre thought... We know that the Geth are immune from Indoctrination, and could only be controlled via virus insertion. Perhaps the Reapers intentionally influenced galactic society into hating machines to prevent the widespread existence of AIs?
Not an impossible thought. Though there's no evidence to support the theory, we know that the manipulation of the reapers runs deep.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote