View Single Post
Old 2004-10-17, 15:10   Link #23
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
VBR mp3 in avi; is a hack pure and simple, a very bad one at that. It should never ever be used again in a legacy avi container for the reasons given in the faq. CBR is the correct way to go and to be honest there is not alot of difference if it's reencoded correctly.
Then define "hack" and "bad".
What WAS .avi designed for? It was NOT XVid and mp3.
And I think you'll find there IS different, when you 128cbr a VBR mp3 that hikes at 320kbs, you're thirding the bitrate on those areas.
And yes, the FAQ, for those too lazy to look it up, says:
Quote:
Why is using vbr mp3 in avis a bad idea?
We all discussed this issue at length in irc and Cyrius (suiryc) gave a pretty good explanation on irc which you can read here(http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/?page=irclog).
To sumarize, the central problem is (imho) it works now. As soon as M$ changes the rounding function in their avi parser from ceil to something else, it will stop working.
Now, the thing that irks me about this is, is why would MS even change a setting like that in the parser, on a container they don't even develop any more?
Evil MS Programer: "Hey, let's change this parser setting!"
Other Evil MS Programmaer: "But, won't that stop VBR mp3 from working?"
Evil MS Programer: "Yes, but we're an evil mega-corp! We can do stuff like that!"
Both: *Evil laugh*

I mean, c'mon. How long has VBR mp3 in .avi been around? And it isn't broken yet. I'd put more odds on the next version of XVid not working on .avi, than VBR mp3.

Quote:
So, now we got one document that says it's a bad hack and one it's no hack at all.
Also happaned to come across this topic: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...t=VBR+MP3+.AVI
Guy seems to have some idea of what he's talking about... perhaps. Could be lieing, I guess.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote