View Single Post
Old 2004-06-08, 13:41   Link #30
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Yes I do buy the games. In addition to the ero-games that I have mentioned, there are at least three boxes full of ero-games that is sleeping in my closet that I have bought since the PC-98XX days, and several more just lying around near my desk that seems to be really good, but just haven't had the time to play them yet.

I usually buy my ero-games at Sofmap in Akihabara, since they usually have the best extras for big ero-games. Take, for example, "CLANNAD" (although this isn't an ero-game since there are no ero-scenes in them) - they gave me a nice looking crystal neon lighted display.

But ero-games are not cheap. They almost always goes for a MSRP of 8800 yen. However, since Sofmap is a big store, so they do give a small discount as they add extras when you pre-order them. Heck, you can buy it at Amazon Japan for as much as 20% off on pre-ordered ero-games...but then I wouldn't be able to get the cool promotional extras that stores in Akihabara put together.

But, if I were to buy ero-games at the MSRP, I would be bankrupt by now. Used ero-game stores in Akihabara are quite a deal as they usually sell them at a reasonable price of around 4000-6000 yen, depending on popularity and how many weeks it has been since it was out. Also, if a certain ero-game had bad reviews and just plainly sucked, I can find those games in the "2000 yen or less" pile.

Say for example, Tactics' "Suzu Ga Utau Hi." This was the game that the remaining Tactics members released after the majority of creators for their hit game "ONE" broke off and made their own softhouse - Key. There were talks that this game isn't really worth to buy it at the 8800 yen. In its first day of sale, I already saw stores selling them as much as 20% off on this game. A week later, I bought the game when I saw it in the used pile bin for 1500 yen at a used store in Akihabara. Needless to say, this game was very bad.

And of course, there is no stopping people from buying the game, making an image of the game, and selling them back at above mentioned used game stores if it isn't worth to keep it. I can go and buy a certain "no-story, simple moe~" game such as "Maid-san Shi-Shi-" at a major retailer, create a FCD image on to my notebook PC, and resell it back to a used store within the hour and I get:

1. Buy the game at a retailer: pay 7800-8800 yen
2. Resell the game to used ero-game stores: get 4000-5000 yen back
3. Total cost: approx 3000 yen for the game

So, a simple approximation of my ero-games: somewhere around two-hundred titles.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote