View Single Post
Old 2009-03-05, 09:26   Link #35
Slice of Life
eyewitness

People are in love with dramatic vocabulary. When I look at something like this from TRL's link
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
I don't know about you guys, but do you guys think the bubble has burst? Compared to several years ago when I was active, there are lot less anime shows that spark an interest within me.
where individual tastes are taken as evidence for the fate of a whole industry you don't have to wonder why we're in a constant perceived crisis.

We arguably(!) saw something like a "bursting bubble" in the US licensee business after 2004 and a very smooth market correction in Japan as a consequence, resulting in less (but not dramatically less) titles. Show me a significant number of small anime companies going out of business and big players like Sunrise on life support and we're really talking crisis. I don't see that happening any time soon. So far I see only GONZO which was directly affected by the demise of the American market as the most "American" anime studio (in the pre-pantsu era as least).

It will be interesting to see how the global recession will affect the anime industry which is not so straightforward to predict. In any case, this is not a home-made problem of the anime industry and will be over when the recession period is over.

Now where is anime going in general, bubble or not? I don't see a return of OVAs in the bittorrent era. I still say trying to make more global main stream productions is a strategy for failure but if they try that I'll just wait and see. I don't even know what it means for me individually. More Viper's Creed, less Kemeko-DX? As I see it that's just two different flavors of bad. Of course, YMMV. But it still would be sad to see the unique anime culture die in favor of yet another liter of tasteless global entertainment soup.