View Single Post
Old 2012-10-01, 03:05   Link #96
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Even if most of the animation is still not done by them, they're still the creative forces behind all the storyboards, scene composition, animation direction and all that jazz.
Well it can all depend,sometimes the main studio trusts the subcontractor enough to let them have some creative control of the episode.
Not Shaft but still directed by Shinbo, Kyoani was subcontracted for an episode of Soultaker

If you want a more recent example there's shaft getting Madhouse to work on madoka magica ep11, it was storyboarded by Tomohiko Ito (madhouse veteran though directing SAO at A-1 now) and the episode was directed by Kotono Watanabe (who will direct the Madhouse show Btooom! this fall)

Of course in both cases I'm sure Shinbo is still directing and Kyoani and Madhouse couldn't do whatever they wanted but it shows that sometimes subcontract jobs involve more than just key animation.

Also some fun trivia from that blogpost:

Quote:
It’s interesting that they often worked on early shows of directors who are big shots today, such as Seiji Mizushima (UN-GO, Gundam 00), Tsutomu Mizushima (Blood-C, Ika-Musume), Takahiro Omori (Durarara!!, Baccano!), Hiroshi Nishikori (Index, Azumanga Daioh) and so on.
So Tsutomu Mizushima is no exception,though I guess maybe he tries to do as much in house as possible.