View Single Post
Old 2008-01-02, 09:06   Link #289
Gaiarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyovermind View Post
The only downside I know is that incest causes a higher chance of birth defect.

Other than that I don't see a problem!
Of course, if you are passing on two copies of a bad gene it is going to be trouble. On the other hand, if you are passing on two copies of good genes it can be an advantage. The Ptolomys practiced incest for generations and produced Cleopatra, reputedly the most beautiful woman of the age. The rulers of the Aztec Empire (whilst banning the practice of incest for the general population) considered the fact that they produced healthy babies from marrying their sisters proof of the blessings of the gods. Whilst there is an incresed risk of birth defects with incest, it takes generations of inbreeding to produce the sort of results most people think of when discussing the subject.

And, of course, these days it is perfectly possible to have a relationship without breeding. I can see nothing wrong in a truly mutually-consentual incestual relationship. Unfortunately, in real-life these are extremely rare. Most incest is the result of abuse or coercion.

Also, there are a number of H-games and AVs that have an incest theme. Whilst these are obviously different from the romantic sort of incest the thread started talking about, they could give a hint towards why it features. The Japanese are simply a lot less uptight than some when it comes to their fantasies...
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote