View Single Post
Old 2009-02-10, 20:33   Link #1279
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
As I said, they didnīt even use her voice actress after she got into her coma. So she clearly wasnīt important for anything at that point.

As far as being harsh on Ranka... if this had been an isolated incident, I could also go with her being in shock, etc. But the problem we got with that, is that this was only one sympton of a larger pattern of callous behaviour on part of Ranka.

In her myopic focus on Alto, she tossed aside her adoptive brother, Nanase, Sheryl, and the people of Frontier who were counting on her.

When Ranka didnīt got what she wanted, her inability to overcome her hurt feelings resulted in thousands of deaths.

And when the time came to (wo)man up to what had happened and at least try to bring some solace to the survivors of the Vajra attack, she chose to run away as far as possible from it.

Not to forget that she actually tried to get Alto to run off with her, weakening Frontiers defense even further, knowing fully well that Brera already was waiting to help her. And let us not fail to acknowledge that a confession at knife point isnīt exactly the height of romance.

Some people will say that she was only a teenager, how could she be expected to cope with all this pressure, etc.

Well, laa dee da, teenager, shmeenager. Alto, Sheryl, Luca and Michael are more or less one year older than her, they cope perfectly fine. This excuse therefore is dismissed and lacks merit.
The deaths were not her fault, remember that the Vajra came out from Frontier itself and began to kill civilians, so before her song angered the Vajra there were already people dying and although her song angered the Vajra, it's not something she could control.

To be honest, I don't see how you can blame Ranka for not being able to overcome her emotions. After Sheryl slapped her, Ranka tried to get a hold of herself and did try to tame the Vajra, but how can you blame her for the song having the opposite affect? Seriously, you know that emotions wouldn't be emotions if we could control them. Emotions are based off reactions to situations, so Ranka was unable to tame the Vajra because of the emotions she felt at that moment. For example, when you get angry what do you do? You either go blow off some steam or you wait to calm down, well Ranka had no time to calm herself down and was swayed by the present situation. It's not like she intended to anger the Vajra.

Ranka's running away is the result of fear because she had no idea what her singing would do this time around, she sings and then another hoard of Vajra come attacking Frontier. She was afraid of her own power, hence her phrase of "Why me?" Another thing that should be cleared up is that Ranka did not know that Brera would show up, or why would Brera ask her "What is it you desire?" (somewhere along those lines.) Brera was proven to be a stalker and he's constantly stalking Ranka to protect her if need be, and that's why he showed up. Oh but Brera was already in the VF when Ranka confessed so it wasn't at knife point

Ranka's character isn't the greatest and I agree it could have been portrayed a hell of a lot better but it's not as bad as some make it out to be.