View Single Post
Old 2011-08-26, 10:07   Link #73
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
There's been 20 episodes, but I'm pretty sure I can count any "fanservice" scenes on one hand.
Let's see, we've got:
(snipity)
Okay, let me rephrase that: The scenes I felt were blatantly pandering, I think I can count on one hand. Well - I'll be honest, there's a little more than I remembered (though I will still argue that not all bath scenes or depictions of underwear are "fanservice" by default... in other words, just because something may give you a stiffie doesn't mean that was its intended purpose)... but that only goes to show how seemlessly it's been integrated into the show. In other words; this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Though do note that there's been nothing as cliché as a panty shot and as the fight scene shows,it doesn't get in the way of the story.
Exactly. Having the occasional shot of less-than-dressed females in a context where such attire actually makes sense is hardly the same as "relying on fanservice instead of good storytelling", which is far from the case here IMO. I mean, do you really think someone who is into anime for the fanservice will look to Hanasaku Iroha, of all shows, to get their fix? I think not. Speaking for myself; while I have found the storytelling a bit lacking lately, it certainly isn't fanservice that has had me coming back to this show every week.