View Single Post
Old 2013-01-22, 03:32   Link #1331
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
You are not thinking about the author. The author HAD bad habits, WAS negative thinking and WAS friendless. He don't have this flaws anymore and he has friends now. He became a normal person.
I think that's quite presumptuous of you. How do you know that this is a sort of "personal reflection" of the author's own life and the story of how characters in the story (apparently "like him") became normal people? Is he out there "living the life" in between writing this otaku-centric Light Novel? And is being "a normal person" really such a good thing (and do you really think that's what the author is trying to tell us)? Is this supposed to be some sort of "Otaku Self-Help Guide" to teach "fellow miserable outcasts" social skills?

Are there any "normal people" characters in this story who are consistently portrayed as sympathetic people we should admire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
Forgive me, but this show is not intended to end up with the message that antisocial people can make friends. Antisocial people can only dream about leading a happy life, as long as they are not starting to work on themselves and change.
Again, what evidence do you offer to submit that this is theme of the story? Has the story ever truly advocated "normal social behaviour" as the ultimate goal, or really suggested that the characters can't find friendship unless they change? I would submit, on the contrary, that a key theme (if not the main theme) of this story is how this group of rag-tag outcasts find friends in each other. Not that they're going to "graduate" from their oddities, but rather that they'll find ways to live with them because there are people that can accept them for who they are. Yes, Kodaka reached a turning point in terms of his character and decided he needs to take a bit more charge of his destiny, but that doesn't set him on the path to becoming a "normal person" any more than the rest of them. I think it's a story about acceptance and friendship, not "change your ways to become normal (because being an outcast is bad)".

And besides that, I think it's quite presumptuous to suggest that "antisocial people can only dream about leading a happy life". Says who? Finding people who can love and accept you is a wonderful thing, but that doesn't mean you need to "change" who you are.

"Normal" is overrated.