View Single Post
Old 2011-01-06, 12:13   Link #21316
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

What you need to argue is that there is a need for gender ambiguity in the story, and thus, there is a need for these characters. There isn't, nor was the presence of one even remotely important before it was shoehorned in. Your argument amounts to "because Ryukishi put in a stupid and irrelevant plot point, these characters needed to exist."

Yet Kanon at the very least can exist for a half-dozen other reasons (some Shkanon, some not) without any gender ambiguity issues being material to the story (and they aren't, but that's a bad writing issue and not an incorrect interpretation issue). His character can fill other roles, and in fact does fill other roles. Cheapening him to an afterthought is disrespectful, but I can't really fault anyone for it since apparently Ryukishi thought we'd all be satisfied with him cheapening Kanon to an afterthought.

But really, the character has no reason to exist at all. Umineko as a whole and in component parts is no weaker if he doesn't exist in it. In fact, I'd argue it's stronger, as a story and as a mystery.

Or we could conclude there's something more valuable to him than scent-thrower-offer and Characterization For Dummies: A Very Special Blossom Episode vector.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote