View Single Post
Old 2008-03-25, 00:05   Link #827
Lunar Archivist

Thanks for the compliments, DarkWing and Vexx. To be honest, the entire subject is something of a bone of contention for me. Maybe it's partly my own Lolita Complex talking here, but there're quite a few things about current child psychology that bother me, and this series raises a lot of those questions without giving any easy answers. While I don't condone romantic or sexual relationships between children and adults, I've often wondered how many of the children who regret those liasons as adults do so because they genuinely feel betrayed, how many only end up feeling that way because it's been hammered into their skulls incessantly by the adults around them that they were taken advantage of, and how many are simply bowing to popular opinion and playing the role of victim that society expects them to.

I'm reminded of the whole Mary Kay Letourneau mess that took place around ten years ago and being incredibly annoyed by how her interview on Dateline seemed to be edited together to make her look like some kind of insane sexual deviant rather than someone who made a series of really stupid decisions. Not exactly objective reporting, there, NBC. Last I heard, the two of them were married and living happily together, and I remember thinking, "Good for them on proving everyone wrong." even if I never supported their relationship in the first place. I'm kinda hoping Rin and Aoki get together in the end as well, hopefully minus all the illegal sex or jail time.

The Lunar Archivist
Lunar Archivist is offline   Reply With Quote