View Single Post
Old 2014-04-24, 08:22   Link #34395
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
At least that can be explained a bit better by the next line as Yasu being so nuts at this point that she thought everyone connected to the Ushiromiyas should just die.

I'm going to have to read that translation a bunch of times more. It's a bit hard for it to sink in. There's definitely a blurring of reality and the bottle stories going on there. She wrote her stories in a frenzied state, certainly, but how much of it she brought into reality or was capable of bringing into reality I don't know. She does sound villainous there.
It strikes me as an obvious parallel to Maria's "therapy" in ep4. Imagining killing the people who have wronged her, wringing out all the negative emotions, and maybe going a bit too far for the sake of trying to prevent the pain from settling in. She outright says (to paraphrase) "I'm imagining these things as if they were real." Maria did the same thing, but would she have actually murdered her mother? Ever? I doubt it.

Plus note she can't exactly come up with justifications for the people she loves most. She knows if she were capable of going through with this plan that she'd have to do it, but can she really be so cold as to kill Jessica and George? I mean maybe she thinks Maria is better off dead and maybe she thinks Battler wronged her by not returning, but what did those two ever do to her? She's already acknowledged previously that the fault in those instances was hers. If she's being honest with herself (and we know she's capable of it), she can't easily justify that. It's one thing to write about yourself as being capable of such an act, and quite another to actually do it. Particularly when you want someone to stop you.

Also, assuming the translation is accurate, we have a rather... curious set of lines here:
Quote:
That is why each and every one of these bottles contains a confession of my sins.
Repentance for my sins that would not exist had I not written them down.
She appears to be saying that the sins she has committed are of imagining these events. This reminds me of that scene in the VN where Battler says she hasn't sinned in "this world" in response to Beatrice mentioning all the sins she's committed countless times. I think there was also some bit earlier in the manga about "a girl who imagined a tragedy" or something to that effect.

I mean, if she actually did what she believed she could do, it'd be odd to say her sins wouldn't have existed without this sequence. She could easily have decided to commit murder and then done so, and that would be the sin. Plus this part in the manga comes after all those previous parts about the BoOT and whatnot, so from a dramatic standpoint it really makes no sense to play up the depths of her despair and the extent of her planning and her desire to be stopped by Battler if the endgame is just "Yeah and then the adults killed everyone for money and Battler never even did anything."

Obviously Battler couldn't and didn't prevent the tragedy, but he must've done something, otherwise this entire section is a whole lot of hand-wringing and retreading of territory that we're already mostly aware of. If we don't see some of Battler's POV later I'll be right ticked about it.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote