View Single Post
Old 2012-04-23, 08:46   Link #79
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
I don't think Sandaime's apparent lack of strictness when it comes to Danzou's authority shows weakness in character, more just further example of his leniency and patience. Danzou was his good friend and comrade, he probably gave Danzou benefit of the doubt believing that he always had Konoha's best interest in mind. And no doubt Danzou kept a lot of things well under Sarutobi's radar too.

We've mostly seen Danzou at his worst, but my guess is that he was probably extremely competent and proved himself essential several times in the past (just that his means were very extreme). He also seems to carry some heavy influence over the village. Notice Tsunade wasn't about to take away his authority, even though she didn't like or trust him
I'm not sure you realize but your defense of Sandaime is actually a list of weaknesses.
First I'd argue that such a leniency and patience are a weakness of character in a leader but it's less about his behavior than his factual control over his village or lack there off. The very fact that Sandaime was oblivious to what was going on make him weak and even when he disagreed with Danzou's actions in the open as in the Uchiha's quarantine and slaughter case he was outruled and had to go along against his wishes. Add to this the fact that Yamato knew of the way Root members are brainwashed and forced to kill each others means it's not so much a secret as something that Sandaime couldn't stop. Danzou carrying so much political influence that Sandaime couldn't move against him also seals the fact that Sandaime was not powerful nor influential enough. Remember as well that Root had been officially disbanded to no effect in reality.

The very existence of a traitorous powerful political figure with a personal praetorian guards/back ops hit squad who ran Konoha's policies unchecked is antithetic with the notion that Sandaime was a powerful leader.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote