View Single Post
Old 2012-07-14, 14:35   Link #356
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Eh, if you guys are thinking of this solely in terms of an adaptation of Aria, then yea. As an adaptation of SAO however, I don't think much has been lost in the stuff that were cut/changed, especially considering the multitude of conflicting elements Aria has with the novel.
Incorrect. As I specifically pointed out, as the anime portrays this episode, Asuna appeared suddenly, exchanged a few words, and suddenly she and Kirito are having this deep talk. Which lacks depth because it had all of 2 minutes of shoring up. Also as I said, I would have thought this had I read the novels beforehand or not. Asuna's introduction and lead-in to her interaction with Kirito was way too sudden and fast. If I hadn't read the novels actually, I may have thought that she was one of those "introduced just to die characters" (like Sachi will end up being if this episode's pacing is any indication), at least until she took off the cloak and I would've seen she's in the OP.
And the conflicting elements Aria had with the novel were easily adjustable with the full story in hand.
Quote:
As far as Asuna is concerned, this is her introductory episode, and it did that job well. They're not trying to anoint her as Kirito's old lady this early in the story, nor should they, given how they seems to be going with the novel's approach, which doesn't have any romantic stuff between Kirito and Asuna until much later.
It didn't do her introductory that well from an anime-only or novel PoV because of the aforementioned suddenness from the time crunch.
Nobody is saying anything about there needing to be KiriAsu yet; there was never any real KiriAsu in the Aria SS in the first place.